What To Do If Pulled Over For DWI
In the heat of the moment, it can be difficult to recall the most important things to do or not do after a traffic stop on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
At Bauer Law Office, we will work with you and guide you through the court system after you are pulled over for DWI/DUI. If you’re concerned about the cost, don’t let that stop you from contacting us. We can work with your budget. I am Thomas Bauer, the founder of this law firm. With 40 years of experience in this area of the law, I am vitally interested in ensuring that you know your rights and how to protect them. You can contact the law firm anytime, day or night.
Your Defense Case Starts Immediately
Remember: you can call an attorney prior to chemical or breath testing. Be polite to the police officer and state that on your attorney’s advice, you are doing the following things:
- Don’t answer questions beyond your name and address. Assert your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. Any answer, no matter how unimportant it may seem, can hurt you later in court. Don’t fill out any forms.
- Do take the preliminary breath test (PBT). This test is usually given on the roadside or in the police car and the test results are not normally used in court.
- Don’t perform the field sobriety tests. You have a right to refuse to place finger to nose, walk a straight line and so on. These tests only incriminate you no matter how well you do.
- Do take the DATAMASTER breath test. If you refuse this test, you will lose your driver’s license for one year. If you refuse the test, it is a gross misdemeanor crime with a maximum of one year in jail. Request a blood or urine test as your score from such a test may be lower than a breath test score. (The police officer does not have to offer these tests, but may agree to). Some extreme facts may make it appropriate to refuse the breath test. For example, a compelling issue such as a death in an accident, severe personal injury, numerous prior DWIs or severe intoxication may be a mitigating factor.
- Do contact a lawyer. Your rights are on the line. If you are convicted, higher insurance costs, significant fines, jail time and expensive treatment programs now confront you. You need a strong defense.
What you say and do at the initial traffic stop can affect the rest of your defense case. If you need counsel during or after a traffic stop, I am prepared to help you when you need it most.
Start Now To Get Your Defense Underway Without Delay
To learn more about protecting yourself from the serious consequences of a drunk driving conviction, talk to me directly. I am available at any time of the day or week to take your call. Contact Bauer Law Office today at 763-445-9911 or email our Plymouth office to get a free initial consultation.